Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Work with Unpredictability

fr Speed of Dark
(Elizabeth Moon)

I remember being afraid of water, the unstable unpredictable shifts and wobbles in it as it touched me. I remember the explosive joy of finally swimming, the realization that even though it was unstable, even though I could not predict the changing pressure in the pool, I could still stay afloat, and move in the direction I chose to go. I remember being afraid of the bicycle, of its wobbly unpredictability, and the same joy when I figured out how to ride out that unpredictability, how to use my will to overcome its innate chaos. Again I am afraid, more afraid because I understand more - I could lose all the adaptations I have made and have nothing - but if I can ride this wave, this biological bicycle, then I will have incomparably more.

No comments:

Post a Comment